Babysitter charged in death of Pembroke 4-year-old
Posted August 21, 2012
Pembroke, N.C. — A Robeson County teenager has been charged with murder in connection with the death last month of a 4-year-old boy he was babysitting, authorities said Tuesday.
Dustin Locklear died at his Pembroke home on July 12, and an autopsy determined that he died of blunt-force injuries.
A grand jury last week indicted Raekwon Miguel Locklear, 16, of 168 Front St. in Red Springs, on charges of first-degree murder and felony child abuse in the boy's death. He also was charged with two misdemeanors – child abuse and assault on a child under 12 – in connection with injuries suffered by two other children in the home at the time.
Raekwon and Dustin Locklear weren't related, authorities said.
Dustin's mother, Jessica Oxendine, was at work when he died. Investigators said she called 911 while driving home because she suspected something was wrong, and she found her son unconscious when she arrived at her house.