@NCCapitol

@NCCapitol

Autism bill unlikely to pass this summer

Posted July 30, 2014

Autism Speaks held a July 15, 2014, news conference at the General Assembly to press for a Senate vote on legislation that would require insurers to cover behavioral treatment of autism.

— A bill that would require insurers to cover applied behavioral therapy for children with autism is likely dead for the year, according to the Senate's top leader.

The measure has twice passed the House, where Speaker Thom Tillis has been a champion. But it has languished in the Senate, and lawmakers are hoping to end their summer session this weekend.

Asked if the autism bill would get a vote in his chamber, Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger said, "I don't think so."

Other lawmakers and staffers confirmed there were no plans to move the bill this summer. 

That news will likely disappoint many families, who have lobbied senators since last year to take up the bill.

8 Comments

This blog post is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • ohmygosh Jul 31, 2014

    Where does parental financial responsibility end. When it gets too costly?
    Recent studies show that 60% of autism is due to parents genes-- not outside chemical or environmental factors. There are no conclusions yet most of the other 40%.

  • Danny22 Jul 31, 2014

    I am sure autism is a really bad condition but I don't think there should be funding for special folks. There are a lot of issues just as important as autism. I don't think they should get SPECIAL money over other people.

  • oakcity Jul 31, 2014

    so viagra is ok to cover but therapy for autistic children is not? its like a bad joke gone wrong.

  • Forthe Newssite Jul 31, 2014
    user avatar

    This should not be a surprise to anyone. It wouldn't benefit the GA so they see no need to mention it, much less pass it.

  • Thomas Fenske Jul 31, 2014
    user avatar

    505 Child ... this isn't about the state paying for things, it is about insurers covering the therapy for a valid medical condition. To be more accurate, it is about effective lobbyists blocking the change. Same insurers probably cover substance abuse treatment ... those are self-inflicted conditions. These kids aren't like that at all.

  • 50s Child Jul 31, 2014

    It's not the State's job to "care" about children and parents. Depend on your family for "caring", not the government.

    We cannot afford to treat every person for every malady. Parents, you made the child, you provide the "care"! And stop expecting everyone else to pay.

  • descartes Jul 31, 2014

    The North Carolina State Senate does not care about you or your children. Not even a vote on the bill.

  • raleighforus Jul 30, 2014

    Way to go moms for championing this cause. How sad to be living in NC at this time..