News

Authorities: Workers smoking on school's roof sparked fire

Posted September 15

— Authorities say workers who were smoking on a school's roof were responsible for accidentally causing a fire while students were still inside.

Red Clay Consolidated School District spokeswoman Pati Nash says A.I. DuPont Middle School outside Wilmington was safely evacuated Wednesday afternoon.

Responding crews were able to extinguish the fire in about 30 minutes and no one was injured. Assistant State Fire Marshal Alan Brown says the fire was caused by smoking material left by workers on the roof.

Nash says about $10,000 in damage to the roof was being repaired immediately after the fire. There was no interior damage.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all