Marine could be 8th shark-bite victim along NC coast
Posted July 6, 2015
Updated July 7, 2015
Camp Lejeune, N.C. — Officials at Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune said Monday that a Marine was treated over the weekend for a “possible” shark bite to his right hand and forearm.
The 32-year-old man, who had been in the water near Surf City, was brought to the hospital by a friend shortly before 11 p.m. Saturday, officials said. He was treated and released by 3:30 a.m. Sunday.
“The injuries are considered non-life-threatening,” officials said in a statement.
No further information was released.
There have been seven confirmed shark bites off the North Carolina coast in the last several weeks, including a July 1 attack off Ocracoke Island that sent a 68-year-old Massachusetts man to the hospital.
Officials said that attack happened at about 12:30 p.m. while the man, Andrew Costello, was swimming directly in front of the lifeguard stand in waist-deep water. Costello was pulled underwater by the shark, and received injuries to his rib cage, hip, lower leg and both hands.
Other shark attacks this summer include:
June 11: A girl was bitten by a shark and her boogie board torn apart at Ocean Isle Beach.
June 14: A 12-year-old girl and a 16-year-old boy were each bitten about an hour apart off the coast of Oak Island. Each had an arm amputated.
June 24: An 8-year-old boy was bitten near Surf City. He sustained minor injuries to his leg and ankle.
June 26: A 47-year-old man was bitten about a mile north of the Avon Fishing Pier while he was swimming in a group.
June 27: A 17-year-old boy was bitten in Rodanthe.