Authorities capture man wanted in fatal Durham shooting
Posted January 15, 2015
Durham, N.C. — A 35-year-old man charged with murder in the December shooting of a man found dead inside a car on West Carver Street is in the Durham County jail without bond, police said Thursday.
Chan Thomas was arrested earlier this week in Burlington, a police department spokesperson said.
Thomas is charged with murder in the death of Kenneth Bernard Covington, who was shot and killed on Dec. 3. According to investigators, Thomas shot Covington at about 12:30 a.m. while he was driving between North Duke and Roxboro streets.
Covington crashed his car on West Carver Street.
Thomas is also charged with shooting into an occupied vehicle, felony fleeing to elude law enforcement, reckless driving and driving with a revoked license in connection with a Jan. 8 incident in Durham.
Authorities tried to stop Thomas in the area of Trinity Avenue and Greer Street.
He was being held Thursday with no bond.