Local News

UNC dorm fire traced to faulty light fixture

Posted November 15, 2013

Map Marker  Find News Near Me


— Although the report on the fire at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's Cobb Residence Hall is not complete, a university spokeswoman said Thursday that it appears to have started in a bathroom light fixture. Investigators found charring around the recessed light and a pattern that appeared to have branched out from the light, the university said.

The Nov. 5 fire displaced almost 400 students when upper floors of the 61-year-old building suffered smoke and water damage.

UNC moved those affected to other campus housing.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • sidecutter Nov 15, 2013

    Someone probably put too high a wattage bulb in it and it cooked. Not uncommon.

  • scubagirl2 Nov 15, 2013

    Glad that was the cause and not some nefarious other reason.