Local News

Firefighters extinguish fire in UNC dorm attic

Posted November 5, 2013

— Firefighters put out a fire Tuesday in the attic of Cobb Dormitory on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Smoke could be seen billowing from chimneys of the building at dusk, and firefighters were able to reach the roof through an access hatch to begin knocking down the fire. By 6 p.m., they had it under control and were putting out hot spots.

Students, staff and university guests were asked to avoid the area in order to keep traffic congestion to a minimum. No one was injured.

Cobb is home to about 400 students living in single, double and triple rooms on four floors. University officials said they'd provide an alternative to any Cobb residents who needed it.

UNC dorm on fire RAW: UNC dorm on fire


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • carrboroyouth Nov 5, 2013

    No compassion anymore...

  • bobbobson23 Nov 5, 2013

    "It must be where they store the records on African American Studies classes."

    Nah, more likely to be where the former NC State football player loans cars to current NC State athletes.

  • fireguy Nov 5, 2013

    why don't you guys hold off on your ignorant comments until after all the firefighters are out safe.

    you can listen here and then talk all the junk you want-

  • jgilchr Nov 5, 2013

    It must be where they store the records on African American Studies classes.

  • scubagirl2 Nov 5, 2013

    believe I'd be looking for a hotel room for the night, and soon.

  • BernsteinIII Nov 5, 2013

    I guess some grow lights caught fire...