American cars make Consumer Reports' top picks
Posted March 23, 2015
Raleigh, N.C. — Consumer Reports’ top vehicle picks for 2015 are in, and three of the top picks are American made:
- Best overall car – Tesla Model S. But it’s pricey, close to $90,000.
- Best sports sedan – Buick Regal. Testers said it has the feel of a high-end European car.
- Best large car – Chevrolet Impala V6. It’s roomy, comfortable and rides like a luxury car, plus it has better handling than a typical large car.
"We choose our top picks based on reliability data for more than a million vehicles, safety performance in government and industry tests,” said Jake Fisher, director of Consumer Reports' auto testing. “Plus we drive these vehicles for thousands of miles and evaluate them in more than 50 tests."
Japanese automakers dominated the list:
- Best compact car – Subaru Impreza
- Best midsized sedan – Subaru Legacy
- Best small SUV – Subaru Forester
- Best midsized SUV – Toyota Highlander
- Best minivan – Honda Odyssey
- Best luxury car – Audi A6
- Best green vehicle – Toyota Prius
“Subarus continue to do really well in our tests,” Fisher said. “They're reliable and offer a lot of practicality, plus all-wheel drive is standard."