Amazing Race recap: Sandcastles in the sand
Posted February 18, 2013
Raleigh, N.C. — "The Amazing Race" premiered last night and who knew that a little sand could cause so much trouble! There were three teams that took four-hour penalties because they couldn't complete the road block involving a clue hidden in the sand.
And if that wasn't enough excitement for you, there were the "Youtubers" Joey and Meghan and "Newlyweds" Max and Katie. I don't know how long I can take either of these teams. They really push the annoyance factor pretty high.
What helped me get through the episode, you ask?
He had a "business in the front, party in the back" mullet! As a person who accidentally ended up with a mullet in college - bad haircut, bad bad haircut for me - I can respect a person who decides to rock a mullet on purpose. And those curls! Wow!
Alabama married couple Chuck and Wynona were nice. I liked them and twin OBGYNs Idries and Jamil, who referred to themselves as "delivery men."
Another team on the likable list - Raleigh's own Bates Battaglia, co-owner of Lucky B's and former Carolina Hurricane, and his brother Anthony. The hockey player brothers didn't get a ton of screen time last night, but that will hopefully change since they placed second and established themselves as competitors in the race!
I had a chance to chat this morning with their dad, Richard Battaglia, and he gave me the scoop on which brother was quite hesitant to bungee jump in the past and which brother couldn't get enough of the beach as a child.
Check out our full interview with Richard.**
This week's race recap:
- Jessica and John - won an express pass for themselves and another to give away before 4th leg
- Bates and Anthony - hockey brothers
- Dave and Conner - father/son duo who survived cancer
- Pam and Winnie - BFFs
- Mona and Beth - roller derby moms
- Joey and Meghan - Youtubers
- Chuck and Wynona - business up front!
- Idries and Jamil - Twin doctors
- Max and Katie - The race is their honeymoon - yes, we are serious. (Took a 4 hour penalty)
- Carolina and Jennifer - Country singers - one of them is related to Daniel Boone. - (Took a 4 hour penalty)
Eliminated this week: Matt and Daniel - Firefighters
Stay tuned each week for our recaps with Richard and chat with the Out and About crew LIVE during "The Amazing Race" every Sunday night.
(**Mobile users: This video is not available through the Out and About app, so please head to WRAL.com/OutandAbout to view)