Local News

After requesting removals, Rocky Mount leaves parks open to Pokemon Go

Posted August 2

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— The city of Rocky Mount on Tuesday said it will allow gamers to play Pokemon Go in city parks about a week after it said it requested all city-owned facilities be removed from the game.

City officials requested that 134 sites, such as fire stations, wastewater treatment plants and parks, be taken off the popular smartphone game because of safety concerns. The city rolled has since rolled back the removals to allow gameplay in parks unless there is a "specific hazard."

In a news release, the city said players have previously shown up to the fire station at 1:30 a.m., requesting to play the game inside. Similar incidents were reported at electrical substations.

"Our primary concern has always been to ensure the safety of our citizens," City Manager Charles Penny said in a statement. But, after a review of the city's parks, officials said they will remain on the game.

Penny said the removal of a site from Pokemon Go can take nine to 12 months, but the city is asking players to stay away from sites until they are removed.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all