Local News

Brothers charged after Aberdeen Walmart scuffle

Posted December 24, 2013
Updated December 25, 2013

— Authorities charged two brothers who caused the evacuation of a Walmart in Aberdeen on one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

Aberdeen police emptied the store, at 250 Turner St., for about 30 minutes Tuesday as they searched for one of the brothers believed to be somewhere inside with a handgun. 

Witnesses said one person was trampled near the front door as customers ran for the exit, but police said the person did not have serious injuries.

Investigators gave this account of what happened:

Officers went to the Walmart about 3 p.m. for a shoplifting complaint. While there, one of the officers saw a man he recognized as being banned from the store.

The officer tried to remove the man, identified as 22-year-old Christian York, and they struggled. During the scuffle, York allegedly dropped a gun.

Police said York's younger brother, 18-year-old Justin York, picked up the gun and ran through the store with it.

The store was immediately evacuated, and Christian York was taken into custody.

Police said Justin York turned himself in a few hours later. The gun, which was also located, turned out to be a BB gun. Investigators did not say where it was found.

Witnesses described chaos inside the store, with people unsure about what was happening and running to get out.

"There were children that were hiding outside at the outdoor living area. THere moms had them hidden behind things because we were afraid someone was having an episode," shopper Kelly Hinson said.

Bill Lacy was working in the automotive department when he saw two men run by.

"I'm like, 'My life is in danger and I need to get outside,'" he said. "A lot of people were in shock. A lot of people were like, 'We left our items and stuff in the store,' and they really didn't know what to do."

Christian York was charged with going armed to the terror of the public, assault on a government official, trespassing, and resisting, delaying and obstructing.

Justin York was charged with resisting an officer, altering evidence, and resisting, delaying and obstructing.

Both were held in the Moore County jail. Bond information was not immediately available.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all