Raleigh, N.C. — Trophy Brewing Company, downtown Raleigh's latest nano brewery, opened Wednesday night with six beers on tap, including one containing Slingshot coffee and another with boiled peanuts.
Trophy Brewing, located in the former home of Burger Hut on West Morgan Street, is a venture by Busy Bee owners David Lockwood and Chris Powers. This 3 barrel system is manned by head brewer Les Stewart.
Currently, Trophy has a full bar and growlers to go, but later this year they will become a full service restaurant with an outdoor patio.
Here's a list of what's on tap this week:
- Limbo Champ (American Brown, ABV 5.6 percent) - Has notes of chocolate. It was the first beer they brewed so Powers said it holds a special place in their hearts.
- Trophy Wife (American Pale, ABV 5.1 percent) - Light with a hint of Simcoe.
- Best in Show (American Saison, ABV 6.75 percent) - A Citra-hopped easy drinking farmhouse ale with a sweeter malt base than many saisons.
- Slingshot Coffee Porter (Robust Porter with Coffee, ABV 7 percent) - Brewed with Raleigh’s own Slingshot Coldbrew Coffee. Love the coffee aroma in this one. It finishes clean with notes of chocolate and roasted barley.
- The King (Belgian Dubbel, ABV 6.3 percent) - The peanut butter flavors are designed to wrap with banana esters and sit on a bready dubbel base. It contains peanut butter and boiled peanuts.
- Biggest Flirt (Belgian Indian Pale Ale, ABV: 7.4 percent) - Tropical and floral aroma. Hopped with Nelson Sauvin.
There will be a rotating beer selection, Stewart said. He said the focus is to keep the beer "unique, but approachable."
"You have to put something different in the glass, especially in this market," Stewart said.
The place represents its name well with trophy beer taps and small trophies donated from Busy Bee patrons during special Trophy Brewing sample nights lining the shelves.
Trophy Brewing is open Sunday through Thursday 6 p.m. until midnight and on Friday and Saturdays 6 p.m. until 2 a.m.