Court denies Grant Hayes' bid for new trial
Grant Hayes, who is serving life in prison for the grisly 2011 death of his ex-girlfriend, Laura Jean Ackerson, has been denied a request for an appeal. Hayes claimed that jurors in his 2013 trial should not have heard testimony about a psychological report that offered a possible motive for the crime.
- Today @NCCapitol: Expect a taxing day
After snow delays, the state House is ready to move quickly on its economic development bill. Gov. Pat McCrory continues public appearances in advance of his expected budget roll out this week.
- Uber feedback is 2-way street; drivers can rate passengers
San Francisco resident Emily Tarran gets up early for her job as a morning TV producer. To get there on time, she relies on a 3 a.m. cup of coffee and a ride from Uber, the ride-sharing app that continues to gain popularity worldwide. Recently, however, that ride became much less reliable because Uber drivers all but stopped picking her up.
- Three injured in south Durham shooting
Three people suffered non-life-threatening injuries late Monday in a shooting near the intersection of N.C. Highway 55 and Carpenter Fletcher Road in south Durham, police said.
- Tata defends DOT's handling of icy NC roads
Addressing some drivers' concerns that the North Carolina Department of Transportation could have done a better job preventing slick spots on roads over the weekend, Transportation Secretary Tony Data said crews were as proactive as they possibly could have been.
- Husband: Fayetteville woman charged with animal cruelty tried to care for dog
A Fayetteville woman accused of allowing her dog to starve tried to care for the ill animal, her husband said Monday.
|▼S&P 500||2,111.66||-5.73 (-0.27%)|
|▲OPEC Oil||56.93||+0.10 (+0.18%)|
|▲SPDR GOLD||116.38||+0.70 (+0.61%)|
Quotes delayed at least 20 mins.
- DNA tool helping biologists find elusive or invasive species
- Automakers vow not to give up on weak-selling electrics
- DNA study backs theory of massive steppe migration to Europe
- AP EXPLAINS: Supreme Court case against Obama's health law
- UN warns against complacency as Ebola fight enters new phase
- View More »