The transformer plant in Goldsboro where two workers died Monday night also was the site of a workplace fatality in 2012, according to state regulators.
Deputy chief to lead Durham Police Department when Lopez retires
Deputy Chief Larry Smith, a 27-year veteran of the Durham Police Department, will serve as interim police chief beginning Jan. 1, the city announced Tuesday.
- Police seek car linked to Durham drive-by
Durham police on Tuesday distributed photographs of the car believed to be involved in a drive-by shooting in north Durham Monday afternoon.
- Chicago mayor fires police chief in wake of video release
Mayor Rahm Emanuel fired the city's police superintendent Tuesday, a week after the release of a dash-cam video that showed a white Chicago officer fatally shooting a black teenager 16 times.
- Clinical trials firm to expand in Durham
A company that helps pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies test their products plans to expand in Durham, creating 260 jobs over the next five years, officials said Tuesday.
- Candidate filing for 2016 elections opens
Political hopefuls can officially put their names on the ballot starting at noon Tuesday. Races on the 2016 ballot will include statewide races for governor and U.S. Senate as well as local races for the state legislature and county commissioners.
- Study: Digital health devices now in one-third of homes with broadband
A new report from Dallas-based Parks Associates finds that one third of U.S. households that utilize broadband services already are cashing in on digital health and wellness devices such as FitBit and smart watches. Plus, buyers are actively using the gadgets, not forgetting, breaking or losing them. So what do you want for Christmas?
More Top News
- Lawyer: Boy taken by dad in 2002 has visited mom in Alabama
- Japan probes mystery boats carrying dead bodies off coast
- From racing to rum, things to know about year-end tax breaks
- A proposed luxury resort where eagles soar stirs anger
- Obama says parts of climate deal must be legally binding
- View More »
- Retention elections for justices challenged in court
- Apodaca says he won't seek re-election
- New criminal laws prohibit revenge porn, limit license plate readers, change gun rules
- Trump's comments spark worry among NC Republicans
- As race for governor heats up, a change in tone for McCrory?
- View More »
|▲S&P 500||2,096.62||+16.21 (+0.78%)|
|▼OPEC Oil||38.93||-0.15 (-0.38%)|
|▲SPDR GOLD||102.23||+0.31 (+0.30%)|
Quotes delayed at least 20 mins.
- Good hygiene, trips to dentist can help fend off mouth problems
- Report: Drug maker was focused on profits, not patients
- UnitedHealth CEO terms ACA exchange growth a 'bad decision'
- Nearly half of US homes use cellphones only, shun landlines
- Group funded by Coke to fight obesity disbanding
- View More »