99 violations in first night of 'booze and lose'
Posted December 3, 2011
RALEIGH, N.C. — Local municipal and county law enforcement officers arrested two people who had warrants out for their arrest Friday at a checkpoint, the first of the holiday season's "Booze It & Lose It" campaign.
Officers from Apex, Cary, Holly Springs, Knightdal, Morrisville, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, RDU Airport, Wendell and Zebulon joined state troopers and Wake County sheriff's deputies at the checkpoint at Glenwood Avenue and T.W. Alexander Drive, Sheriff Donnie Harrison said.
In all, 99 charges were issued. The greatest number – 34 – was for people driving without a valid license. Thirteen people were charged with DWI.
"Booze It & Lose It" is a state-wide, month-long effort to reduce impaired driving and reduce the number of alcohol-related crashes in North Carolina. Last year's campaign resulted in more than 3,800 DWI charges.
"If you're drinking, don't drive. Period. At all. Not for a block, not for a mile, at all," said Col. Michael Gilchrist of the State Highway Patrol.