Raleigh, N.C. — Ever leave a grocery store with a big bill in hand wondering what just happened?
Buying in bulk may be the answer. Shopping bloggers say warehouse stores are the way to go when trying to save money on things that get used all the time.
Even for smaller families or single people, there are plenty of non-perishable items that can be purchased in bulk.
According to some frugal shopping experts on Yahoo Finance, there are five things everyone can save money on by purchasing in bulk.
- Paper products: Paper towels, toilet paper and tissues are worth stocking up on, if storage space is available
- Bottled beverages: It may not be the greenest purchase, but buying drinks in bulk can save big bucks. The higher the quantity, the higher the savings
- Diapers: For growing families, purchasing diapers in bulk is a must.
- Meat: The price per pound is usually significantly less when purchased in bulk. Split up the purchase and freeze it properly, and it can be a great way to save
- Gum: Sure, it's not very oversized, but buying gum in bulk can save you 20 or more cents a pack.
With graduation season right around the corner, paper plates, plastic silverware and plastic cups are also good to get. Anything that isn't used will be ready to go for the next graduation.
Personal care items, shampoo, bars of soap and razors are also worth pricing at warehouse stores. And don't forget about the family pet. Dog food and dog treats can be purchased in bulk, but Yahoo Finance says to keep an eye on expiration dates.