The holidays have come and gone and it’s time for those annual New Year’s resolutions. If one of your resolutions is to spend less money on gifts and holiday items in 2010, now is a great time to bag a bounty of bargains! In the next couple weeks, you can find fantastic deals on gifts, decorations and wrapping supplies for next December and throughout the year. Drug stores, craft stores and big box stores will be marking these items down 50-90% in the next couple weeks. Keep in mind that many of these items can be used for gifts and wrapping supplies all year long. Here are some tips to consider when you are shopping the holiday clearance sales this year.
- Stock up on solid color wrapping paper, tissue and gift bags – they can be used all year.
- Buy holiday chocolates wrapped in red or green foil and use the red chocolates for Valentines and the green for St Patty’s Day.
- Buy holiday themed candles, frames and other non-food items at 75% off or more to give as gifts next December.
- Toys, stuffed animals and arts & crafts sets are already on sale at drug stores at 50% off or more. Stock up for birthday and holiday gifts for the whole year.
- Freeze solid chocolate for use in baking for the next few months.
- When you find 90% off wrapping paper and gift bags, buy enough for all your wrapping needs next December – the prices don’t get much better than that!
- If you have been considering an artificial Christmas tree, now is the time to get it. At 75% off or more, there are fabulous deals.
- If you have wanted to add a few pieces to your holiday décor, stock up in the first few weeks of the year for the best deals. Don’t wait until next year when holiday decorations are full price.
- Some great places to look for marked down holiday items are Target, CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Kohls, Michaels, Walmart and many online retailers.
- Target has already started their toy clearance for most stores. It’s somewhere between 15% - 30% right now with some at 50% off. If you wait until around January 10th, many toys will be 75% off – a fabulous time to stock up for gifts all year round!
- As of 12-30, Target stores are at 50% – 75% off holiday clearance depending on the store.
- CVS is at 50% off for most stores as of 12/30. They had some great Bottle Sand Art craft sets for 50% off a couple days ago making them $4 each. Using ECB’s and a $5 off coupon from their sales ad, I ended up getting the craft sets for 75% off!
- Kohl’s clearance sale online (www.kohls.com) is 60-70% off plus an extra 20% if you use a Kohl’s charge card (use coupon code: extra20 AND free shipping with code: nocharge (thanks to Anjie at freelancebyu.com for the codes!
- Walmart is at 50% for holiday clearance including fragrance gift sets (which may not go any lower than 50% off).
- Walgreens is apparently only going to 50% off and many stores have already packed up their holiday clearance so don’t spend too much time looking for deals there.
- Michael’s has lots of holiday clearance 60% off or more.
I wish you lots of great deals and brilliant bargains in the New Year! As I always say, it’s your money – spend it wisely!