National News

2nd man arrested in Clinton police officer's death, faces tampering charge

Posted August 11

— Charges have been filed against a man accused of tampering with evidence in the investigation of the death of Clinton police officer Gary Michael.

William Noble, 35, has been charged with tampering with evidence in felony prosecution.

He's accused of throwing the rifle used in Michael's death into a body of water, where it was recovered.

Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Bill Lowe says the rifle was found Thursday in a creek about two miles north of Clinton, where 37-year-old officer Gary Michael was shot and killed Sunday night.

Lowe says he couldn't immediately specify the style of the rifle.

The suspect in the case, Ian McCarthy, was arrested after an alert driver provided a tip that the fugitive was wandering within miles of where the killing took place, a law enforcement official said.

A $25,000 cash only bond has been requested.

According to the probable cause statement, Noble was interviewed by police on August 10. He agreed to show them the firearms he had at his house in the 500 block of N. Main Street in Clinton.

He showed officers three weapons upstairs and then took them to a safe downstairs, which was behind a large amount of furniture and trash.

Noble saw the safe was damaged, began acting "suspicious," and asked what type of gun was used in the murder.

The officer told him he knew the answer to his own question. Noble began to act "visibly upset and faked crying." When asked why he was behaving that way, he told police he had sold the gun to McCarthy.

They then went outside and Noble provided a written statement to that effect. However, he then changed the story and admitted he bought the gun for McCarthy because he was asked to. Noble said he bought the gun for McCarthy because he was from out-of-state.

As the officers were getting ready to leave, one of them asked Noble if he knew where the gun was. Noble then "stared" at the officer for about a minute, "blankly," before the officer asked again and he said that he knew where the weapon was.

Noble then said that on August 7, he came home around 2 a.m. from Lee's Summit, walked into his house, and saw the rifle leaning against the inside doorway. He said he panicked, told his wife he was taking the trash out, and drove north out of town with the gun.

Noble said he couldn't tell them where the gun was, but he could tell them where he threw it. He then went with officers to the intersection of NW 300th Road and NW 131st Road. There, he walked toward the edge of the road, pointed to the water, and said he threw it there.

One of the officers walked to the edge of the water and saw the stock of a gun underwater. The rife meets the description of the weapon used in the murder of Officer Gary Michael.

The prosecutor said he's considering more charges against Noble and whether to seek the death penalty against McCarthy.

Investigators have said it's possible that other people helped McCarthy by giving him a ride or clothes.


Please with your account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all