20 beauty benefits of coconut oil you didn't know about
Posted October 17
The new hype over organic beauty products is spreading across the world, most especially, the hype about the beauty and health benefits of coconut oil. People have been using this oil over the years for cooking, hair conditioner, moisturizer and countless other uses.
Here are 20 beauty benefits of coconut oil to try:
- Hair mask: Combine organic coconut oil with extra virgin oilive oil and apply it to your hair. Focus on the ends and make sure to massage the mixture into your scalp. Wrap your hair in a shower cap or a plastic bag and keep it on overnight. In the morning, wash your hair with shampoo twice in order to get rid of all excess oils. Your hair will be shiny, soft and smooth.
- Body mask: Coconut oil is a great way to moisturize your body, especially after shaving. Feel free to drench your body from head to toe in coconut oil. Your skin will absorb all the oils and nutrients it offers and after time. Using this method has dramatically improved my skin over time.
- Homemade deodorant: Head to the kitchen and mix baking soda, cornstarch and coconut oil well until smooth. You can also add essential oils to improve the scent if desired. Store the mixture in a cool place and indulge in the benefits of natural deodorant.
- Tanning oil: If your skin does NOT burn easily, coconut oil can be used as a great tanning aid. You can get a quick and easy tan using coconut oil, it can give you that sun-kissed glow you've wanted all summer.
- Body scrub: Add one-fourth cup of sugar to a half cup of coconut oil for a homemade body scrub. It can remove dead skin and leave your body feeling silky smooth.
- Whitening system: There are some people who indulge in the art of "oil pulling" which consists of swishing raw coconut oil around in your mouth for 20 minutes to whiten your teeth. Putting baking soda and a dab of coconut oil on your toothbrush will also help with whitening.
- Lip Balm: If you mix coconut oil with vaseline it can act as a natural lip balm. It can take some time to take effect, but your lips will start feeling smoother eventually.
- Cuticle oil: Applying the oil to your cuticles can serve as a natural strengthener, which also stimulates nail growth.
- Anti-frizz treatment: If you have naturally frizzy hair like me, put a drop of oil in your hand and smooth it onto those fly-aways and the ends of your hair to tame the frizz. It works miracles for my hair.
- Alleviate allergies: Coconut oil can work as a barrier against the dust and pollen in the air that can stimulate allergies. For example, my brother suffers from seasonal allergies and coconut oil has been a life saver for him.
- Homemade soap: Combining lye, water, coconut oil and other essential oils together will make solid bar of soap. Using that soap everyday will give your skin a softer and cleaner feel.
- Makeup remover: If you have dry skin, try using coconut oil as an everyday makeup remover. Not only does it succeed at taking off all that makeup and dirt, but it works to refine your skin at the end of the day. An easy way to kill two birds with one stone.
- Shaving cream: Coconut oil serves as a good alternative to shaving cream, especially if you get razor bumps easily. The oil will help prevent skin irritation. Be prepared to clean your razor well if you use this method, and take your time shaving so you don't miss any spots.
- Bath oil: Put a bit of coconut oil in your bath water and you will absolutely love how soft and supple your skin feels after.
- Detangler: Coconut oil is a miracle against knotted hair. I personally have very curly hair, and recently I started putting coconut oil on my hair right before I comb through my hair after washing it. It works like a charm and I see far fewer knots than I used to.
- Aromatherapy: The scent of coconut oil can help alleviate headaches and other bodily pains. For example, when I have a headache, I mix coconut oil and lavender and massage it into my temples and the back of my neck to help relieve the pain.
- Combats aging: Coconut oil may not be the fountain of youth but it does help with wrinkles and age spots. It wont make aging disappear all together, but it can make those spots become less visible to the eye over time.
- Cracked heels: Rubbing the oil on your cracked heels can act as a personal, medicinal pedicure.
- Eyelash enhancer: You read that right, this magical oil can help your eyelashes grow. For example, I mix castor oil, avocado and coconut oil together every night before bed, and apply it to my lashes. I have seen a major improvement to the length and appearance of my lashes. Be sure to do it before bed so your eyes will not be irritated.
- Cosmetic glow: One of my favorite uses of coconut oil is using it as a makeup highlighter. If you want to add a little shine to your look, spritz some of the oil on your cheekbones to give yourself a natural glow.