Entertainment

Raleigh man dead from suspected drug overdose at Md concert

Posted August 3, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014

— Police say a second person has died after apparently overdosing during a recent concert in Maryland.

Police said in a statement Sunday that a 17-year-old male from Woodbridge, northern Virginia, became the second person to die of a suspected overdose following Friday's "Mad Decent Block Party" music festival at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia.

The Howard County police statement, released online, said the teen's name was being withheld at the family's request.

Authorities said about 20 people were taken to hospital late Friday, many with drug-related symptoms.

Police say 20-year-old Tyler Fox Viscardi of Raleigh was pronounced dead at a hospital Friday. Police say it doesn't appear the men knew each other.

"According to his close college friend who was with him, the afternoon was hot and he drank water that was given to him by others who were in the area," Viscardi's family said in a statement. "We believe that this contained a substance unbeknownest to him, to which he had a toxic reaction."

Police have said they are awaiting toxicology results in the deaths.

20 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Killian Aug 5, 2014

    Crewmax - precisely. I taught all of my kids that when they went to college. No matter where they were, if their drink was unattended, they were go get a new one and discard it. I had an unfortunate incident back when I was in college because someone laced my drink. I learned my lesson and was determined not to let it happen to my kids.

  • Killian Aug 5, 2014

    mike275132 - this has nothing to do with the legalization of substances like marijuana. The article clearly states that approximately 20 people were treated for drug related symptoms, and they he'd consumed water that was laced with something. He had no idea he was being drugged.

  • mike275132 Aug 5, 2014

    Remember now , Illegal Drugs are "Good" and we should "Legalize " them.

  • recontwice Aug 5, 2014

    View quoted thread

    Which would be what?

  • CrewMax Aug 5, 2014

    The lesson here is to teach your kids to only drink from sealed containers they have opened or have seen opened. Never leave your drink un-attended. When in doubt, pour it out. Not failsafe, but, maybe safer in a crowd.

  • thomasew52 Aug 5, 2014

    View quoted thread

    Very true, we live in a society that has promoted and rewarded the "find someone else to blame" mentality for what we bring on ourselves.

  • 68_dodge_polara Aug 4, 2014

    View quoted thread



    How true, well put. We lost an extended family member to prescription drug addiction that eventually ended with meth.

  • Brigand Aug 4, 2014

    Even as a teen, I would never take a pill that I did not know exactly what it would do to me and how much to take....much less some illegal pills, etc....Amazing what teens will put in their system with no clue of the outcome.

  • KnowsItAll Aug 4, 2014

    View quoted thread

    depends on the drug. Americans have been hooked on alcohol and tobacco for a long time now - with devastating results. At least we're now moving towards less dangerous drugs like marijuana.

  • WralCensorsAreBias Aug 4, 2014

    I like how the media doesn't tell us who the performers were at this "Block Party."

    I bet that info would tell us all we need to know.

More...