National News

11 displaced after house fire in Stafford

Posted August 3

— Firefighters from Stafford and several other surrounding departments are on the scene of a structure fire in the Stafford Springs section of town on Thursday morning.

According to fire officials, the call came in reporting a fire at 28 High St. shortly before 2 a.m.

"It was a rapidly moving fire," Stafford Fire Chief Dave Lucia said. "Fire was in the basement, traveled right up the walls and got to the attic."

Officials said a multi-family home and up to five vehicles were involved in the fire.

"It's not every day you see a house that's fully involved," Jon Basso with Red Cross said. "It's tough when people lose their homes."

Lucia said fighting the fire was difficult at times for firefighters.

"That was a challenge. There are back decks on the back with all grills and all the propane tanks exploded plus all the wires burned right away so we had live wires," Lucia said.

No injuries have been reported to authorities, as everyone was able to make it out safely.

"They had working smoke detectors which save lives," Basso said.

The American Red Cross is the assisting the 11 people, who are part of one family. They are helping six adults and five kids.

"It's not every day you see a house that's fully involved. It's tough when people lose their homes," Basso said. "In this case, we are very happy to hear that everyone got out safe."

Fire officials said there was a partial collapse in the rear of the building and the building may have to be torn down.

Neighbor Robyn Morse said she noticed "the fire trucks and the smoke and smell."

"I was like oh my gosh what's going on," Morse said.

Investigators are now working to pinpoint what sparked the fire.

"It can happen to anybody, but I don't want to see it happening to anybody," Morse said.

Copyright 2017 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.


Please with your account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all