10 now charged with murder in 2013 Sanford home invasion
Posted December 10, 2014
Sanford, N.C. — Lee County authorities have charged four additional people in connection with a fatal home invasion last year in Sanford.
Anthony Wayne Giles, 45, was killed during a Nov. 22, 2013, home invasion in which a man carrying an assault-type rifle broke into a house on Hickory Nut Court, announced himself as "sheriff" and demanded money.
Giles’ wife said the man tied her up after she gave him money. Investigators said the couple's two adult children were also in the home, but they were unharmed.
New Hanover County authorities arrested Harley Joe Chavis, 20, Rodney Henry Mintz IV, 24, Anothony Derek Strickland, 21, all of Wilmington, on Friday and Emmanuel Edward Sanders, 28, of Castle Hayne, late Tuesday.
The four were each being held without bond Wednesday on charges of murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and kidnapping.
Their arrests bring the number of people arrested in Giles' case to 10 – six others were arrested in January on multiple charges, including first-degree murder, first-degree burglary and first-degree kidnapping.
Investigators have neither offered a motive for Giles' death nor said what led them to the suspects' arrests. The case remains under investigation, Lee County Capt. Jeff Johnson said Wednesday.