Months after the dehydration death of a mentally ill inmate, an audit of the prison where he was left handcuffed in solitary confinement for five days reported continued problems with large caseloads, low staff morale and neglect of several prisoners.
Hurricanes break losing streak with win over Leafs
Justin Faulk had a goal and an assist, and the Eastern Conference-worst Carolina Hurricanes broke a six-game losing streak with a 4-1 win over the previously surging Toronto Maple Leafs on Thursday night.
- 911 call: 'My dad and my mom are dead'
Three children locked themselves in a room in their Wake County home Wednesday afternoon as their parents argued and then heard the gunshots that ended the lives of their mother and father, according to a 911 call released Thursday.
- Get ready to glow: Wake County to host hot air balloon festival in 2015
A major hot air balloon festival and skills competition is coming to Wake County on Memorial Day weekend.
- Protesters interrupt Durham City Council meeting
Singing and chanting "black lives matter," a group of protesters interrupted a Durham City Council meeting Thursday to vocalize their feelings about race relations and recent tensions between residents and law enforcement.
- McCrory focused on energy, Medicaid, IT in 2015
As he wraps up his second year in office, Gov. Pat McCrory reflected Thursday on what has gone right in 2014 and where the state and his administration can make improvements going forward.
- Man robbed, beaten after using Raleigh ATM
Raleigh police are asking for the public's help to identify three men who were seen in security video last month robbing a man who had just gotten cash out of an ATM.
- Undocumented children could get Durham's official support
- Raleigh police search for robbers in home invasion
- Exiles divided on plans to thaw US-Cuba relations
- Mother remembers son killed in shooting near Cumberland courthouse
- Retailer must forgive debt, offer refunds to some military customers
- View More »
|▲S&P 500||2,061.23||+48.34 (+2.40%)|
|▼OPEC Oil||55.64||-0.27 (-0.48%)|
|▲SPDR GOLD||115.15||+0.88 (+0.77%)|
Quotes delayed at least 20 mins.
- Last Minute Gifts: Museum memberships
- Destination: The World's Largest Dinosaurs at the N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences
- Morehead Planetarium plans second New Year's Eve family event
- Recipe: Christmas tree cupcakes
- Weekend Plans: Hanukkah events, Polar Express screenings, art museum party, more
- View More »