The rebellious Republican-controlled House unexpectedly voted down short-term funding for the Homeland Security Department late Friday, increasing the prospect of a partial shutdown at midnight of an agency with major anti-terrorism responsibilities.
State judge allows voter ID lawsuit to proceed
A Superior Court judge has refused to strike down North Carolina's voter ID law but will allow a trial on the matter to go forward this summer.
- RDU-Toronto flight makes emergency landing in Pennsylvania
An Air Canada flight from Raleigh-Durham International Airport to Toronto made an emergency landing Friday afternoon in western Pennsylvania.
- Leonard Nimoy, famous as Mr. Spock on 'Star Trek,' dies
In 1975, Leonard Nimoy published an autobiography with the defiant title, "I Am Not Spock" — an attempt to show the world he had many more facets than the pointy-eared character that had come to define him.
- Authorities: Fayetteville woman starved dog to death
A Fayetteville woman was arrested Friday after authorities said she failed to provide adequate food and medical treatment to her dog for more than a year, essentially allowing the animal to starve to death.
- Less than 3,000 still without power in NC
Duke Energy said Friday evening that it has restored power to more than 400,000 North Carolina customers drying out and cleaning up from this week's winter storm that dropped several inches of snow that downed trees and power lines.
- Blue Cross cites health care law in 2014 losses
Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina on Friday reported a $50.6 million loss in 2014, which the insurer blamed on higher medical costs and changing rules under the Affordable Care Act.
|▼S&P 500||2,104.50||-6.24 (-0.30%)|
|▲OPEC Oil||56.07||+2.26 (+4.20%)|
|▲SPDR GOLD||116.16||+0.09 (+0.08%)|
Quotes delayed at least 20 mins.
- UN says limit use of personal audio players to 1 hour a day
- The big melt: Antarctica's retreating ice may re-shape Earth
- Debate rages over color of dress photographed in rare light
- As tastes change, big food makers try hipster guises
- Study: Smokers may tap into multiple sources for nicotine
- View More »